- The QuickBooks Online Payroll Report gives you a snapshot of your business's employees and payment data.
- QuickBooks Online offers 17 unique payroll reports.
- Exporting payroll reports to Excel is easy, which is a plus for small businesses.
- This article is for small business owners and accountants who want to create payroll reports in QuickBooks Online.
Creating and running QuickBooks Online payroll reports is simple and easy. The software is capable of generating 17 different types of payroll reports and allows you to customize the type of report you want to run. This flexible reporting is part of the reason we chose QuickBooks Online as the best payroll software for small businesses.
If you are a small business owner or accountant, you may want to prepare a payroll report for the following reasons:
- tracking total labor cost
- verification of tax liabilities
- reconciliation of financial data
- Calculation of employer tax contribution
- Recording pay rate, hours worked, overtime and taxes withheld
- Maintaining accrued time off and other benefits balance
What are Payroll Reports?
A payroll report is a document of payroll information data that is created using your company's details and records. Many payroll reports are limited to a specific time period, such as the first pay period of the month, quarterly pay, or total pay for the entire accounting year.
Sometimes these reports contain too much information, so you or your accountant may want to customize or limit the information reported. QuickBooks Online gives you this capability, allowing you to generate reports with just the data you want to report. Read our review of QuickBooks Payroll for more information on this payroll solution.
The following 17 reports can be created, exported, saved, and printed in QuickBooks Online:
- employee detail report Include information such as wages and wages, deductions and tax withholding.
- employee contact list report Include your employees' contact information, such as addresses, emails and phone numbers.
- FFCRA Cares Act Report Include information about credits linked to COVID-19 pay.
- multiple workplace reports Depends on the state in which you do business, but they also include information related to completing a number of work sites.
- paycheck history report Allows you to view past paychecks, previous payment methods and previous paycheck status.
- Payroll Billing Summary Give your business a history of all payroll charges billed.
- Payroll Deduction/Contribution Report Total all employee deductions and contributions.
- payroll detail report Provide details such as past paycheck amounts, taxes and deductions.
- payroll summary Payroll details are similar to reports, but also include wages and salaries.
- payroll tax liability report Show how much payroll tax you paid for past payrolls, as well as how much payroll tax you'll need to pay for future payrolls.
- payroll tax payment report Show how much payroll tax you paid.
- Payroll Tax and Salary Summary Outline taxable wages, both federal and state (if applicable).
- retirement planning report Include information about employee and company retirement plan contributions.
- total salary report Summarize an individual employee's total salary and type of salary, such as hourly wage, salary or commission.
- total payroll cost report Summary of total expenses associated with payroll.
- Leave and sick leave reports Track accumulated and used leave and sick leave, as well as other customizable benefit package items.
- workers compensation report Show payroll classification and premiums.
FYI: Many of these reports can be customized to fit your data reporting.
How to Create a QuickBooks Online Report
Creating and running the above 17 reports in QuickBooks Online is just as easy as many other tasks. As long as you've processed payroll in QuickBooks at least once, you'll be able to create and run payroll reports. Below, we'll break down the step-by-step process of accessing and running the Employee Contact List report.
did you know? QuickBooks is the #1 online payroll provider for small businesses. Learn how its software and offerings like on-demand payroll are helping small businesses.
To run the Employee Contact List Payroll Report in QuickBooks Online, complete the following steps.
1. On the QuickBooks Online Dashboard, click Reports and select the Employee Contact List report. Once you click on Reports, scroll down to the Payroll section.
You'll see any report QuickBooks Online can generate for your business. For example, if your business doesn't have multiple workplaces, you won't see the Multiple Workplaces report. QuickBooks Online screens and automates the information for your business, so it doesn't give you any unnecessary reports.
If you've run payroll in the past, all payroll-type reports should be populated here as well as employee-type reports.
If you've created custom reports in the past, you'll be able to access them next to standard reports. If there is a report that you plan to run frequently, you can favorite the report by clicking the star to the right of the listed report.
Choose employee contact list To continue in this section.
2. Select the report you want to create and run. Once you've selected the Employee Contact List report, it's time to get it up and running. QuickBooks Online produces the information as a detailed report.
Below that will be filtered to show your employee contact list. The employee's name, phone number, email and address will appear in the report below.
You can modify the above report as you add more employee information to QuickBooks Online. When you initially signed in to your employee, you probably included some of the following information:
- phone number
- email address
- Home Address
- date of hire
- Social Security Number
- Date of birth
- Employee ID
- created by
- date making
- Notes in respect of employee, if applicable
To modify your report, click on the Settings tool and check the features you want to include when running the Employee Contact List report. After selecting the features you want, click save customization,
Here are some of your options for filtering your reporting:
Almost every payroll report you run will ask you to filter by date range. You can use calendar dates, months, quarters, years, or specific payroll schedules. For Employee Contact List report, you can filter by date of creation of employee, date of hire, date of last modification etc. in QBO.
These are some other filters to limit the data in your specific report.
- Employees: Some reports allow you to filter by certain employees, whether they are active or inactive.
- Work Location: If you have employees in more than one location, some reports allow you to provide information about specific locations.
3. Click Run Report, then Export Report. Most business owners prefer to export QuickBooks Online reports. The 17 reports typically found under the Payroll section of QuickBooks Online will be exported as an XLS file, which means it's synced with Microsoft Excel.
Below is shown the employee contact list exported to Microsoft Excel. From there, you can format and organize your reports.
4. Save the report. It's easy to save and print your report if you want.
QuickBooks Online allows you to generate many standard and custom payroll reports. The ability to trim reported total payroll data and consolidate it in a way that makes sense for your business is another reason why QuickBooks is the preferred accounting software for small business owners and accountants.